Thursday, December 9, 2010

Reverb 10 - Day 9 - Party

Party. What social gathering rocked your socks off in 2010? Describe the people, music, food, drink, clothes, shenanigans.

Well, by now, it's no secret that we had a kid this year and the partying was somewhat limited.

There are two parties that stand out. (by the way, "rocked your socks off"? this is a colloquialism that makes the author sound old. And it looks like she's around my age. Nerdy.) One is our housewarming party and the other is my neighbor's first "Adult Beverage Club" party.

Our housewarming was long overdue, due mostly to that we had a lot of work to do on our house, and Katie was pregnant with Abby when we moved in. We invited a lot of people, mostly through Facebook (which I wouldn't necessarily use again as an invite tool). We had a good turnout of family and friends, including many babies of couples that had them around Abby's birth - we had multiple friends who had babies within a few months.

The party was fun - it started in the afternoon and went until the early evening. I got a keg of Summit, which was popular and bought entirely too much beer which we spent the rest of the summer getting rid of. We had the deck set up with rental tables and we had some in the back yard as well.

Our neighbor's party was the first meeting of what will hopefully be more. We all brought a six pack of beer to share - and it was clear that people wanted to show that they were connoisseurs of craft beer - some nice selections and appreciation from a few of the Rogue Dead Guy Ale that I brought. (not a common beer around here yet).

Good conversations were had, I met a lot of people that I hadn't previously and lots of beer was drank and appetizers consumed. My neighbor Chris, one of the hosts, is a home-brewer and he showed off his setup, which, to my untrained eye was a nice one.

It wasn't really a year for crazy ragers, and I think I missed most of the ones that were but I'm sure they'll be more down the road.